Child Support

Once a Child Support case is filed it is given a case number, assigned a court date and issued for service on the defendant. The defendant must be served the paperwork before the case can proceed. Both parties will need to bring documents and be prepared to give testimony to back up your side of the case.

If you are being represented by the Department of Human Resources, you will need to stay in contact with your case worker regarding your case. All notices regarding your case will be mailed to your case worker. If you are represented by a private attorney, you will need to stay in contact with him/her regarding your case. By law, we cannot give legal advice.

To change your address for child support payments, you must complete and mail a Change of Address form. We do not accept this information by phone.

To notify the court of a change of employment, please complete and return to the Clerk’s Office a Change of Employment form. Please include a physical address of the employer. If the employer is out of state or all you have is a P.O. Box, you will need to prepare certified mail receipts and send a business check or money order to the Circuit Clerk for┬áthe proper certified mail rate. Should you have any questions concerning a case of this type or need filing information, please contact the division specialist at 256.216.3858.